Asia’s premier timepiece and jewellery showcase, A Journey Through Time, officially opened the doors to its ninth edition last Friday, November 20, 2015. This year, over 125 international watch, jewellery and lifestyle brands will participate in the 8-day event from 20 to 27 November 2015.
Marking the occasion was the by-invitation only A Journey Through Time IX Opening Gala held at Shook! Restaurant at Starhill Gallery for 200 guests including celebrities and leading personalities from the government, business and media industry from Malaysia and abroad. Gracing the occasion was the Guest of Honour Mr. Wee Choo Keong, Chairman of Tourism Malaysia. Also present were, YBhg. Dato’ Yeoh Soo Min, Executive Director, YTL Corporation Berhad and YBhg. Prof. Dato’ Jimmy Choo.
(L-R) Julien Macdonald, YBhg. Prof. Dato’ Jimmy Choo, Gareth Gates, YBhg. Dato’ Yeoh Soo Min, Mr. Wee Choo Keong and Mr. Joseph Yeoh
Curated Experiences, Celebrating Precision
The glamorous evening began with renowned British fashion designer Julien Macdonald bringing his distinct style and design vision to A Journey Through Time IX with an exquisite fashion show. The Welsh designer presented eight specially-designed A Journey Through Time IX pieces inspired by his past travels to Malaysia, alongside his latest bespoke collection from the recent London Fashion Week. In total, close to 30 of his beautiful creations sizzled the runway.
The evening was followed by a delightful five-course dinner specially created by Feast Village’s new Executive Chef – Chef Richard Sawyer. As guests savoured the curated culinary creations, nominees of this year’s Watch and Jewellery of the Year Awards were unveiled. The results of the coveted annual awards will be announced at the Tourism and Culture Gala Night: Watch and Jewellery of the Year Awards Presentation on 27 November 2015.
The Opening Gala was capped with the captivating performance of British crooner Gareth Gates. Guests of the evening were treated to his take on hits such as his famous rendition of the Righteous Brother’s ‘Unchained Melody’ and ‘Anyone Of Us’.
All Things Beautiful
A Journey Through Time IX has much to offer to watch and jewellery enthusiasts from all walks of life, from beginners to seasoned collectors alongside curious visitors who are looking at learning a little more about the beauty of a finely crafted timepiece or a dazzling piece of jewellery with its own unique story.
A Journey Through Time IX will feature collections from international watch brands including Bedat & Co, Breguet, Cecil Purnell, Hermès, HYT, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Maîtres Du Temps, Moritz Grossmann, Mühle-Glashütte, Omega, Speake-Marin and Zeitwinkel. Exquisite jewellery brands on display with special collections will include Carrera y Carrera, Ceres, Emperor’s Fine Jewels, Gübelin and Mouawad.
Not-to-be-missed highlights for the public include:
- The exclusive Omega watch exhibition showcasing the limited edition James Bond collection for the first time in Malaysia
- The Julien Macdonald Fashion Show and the Julien Macdonald Retrospective Exhibition featuring 20 bespoke pieces created for celebrities including Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue and Heidi Klum
- Horology workshops led by horologists, seasoned collectors and brand experts covering diverse topics that will interest beginner, intermediary and seasoned collectors
- Specially-created A Journey Through Time IX menus at Shook! Restaurant and Fashion High-Tea at Newens Tea House
- The A Journey Through Time IX Sunday Brunch at Shook! Restaurant with a performance by Gareth Gates
- The Starhill Gallery Christmas Activation event at Newens Tea House with the critically-acclaimed darling of the classical music world, Carly Paoli
A Journey Through Time IX will come to a grand finale with the Tourism and Culture Gala Night: Watch and Jewellery of the Year Awards Presentation on 27 November 2015. Sensational British-born mezzo soprano Carly Paoli and renowned Italian tenor Alessandro Safina are set to captivate guests of the evening.