Did you know? Saunas and steam rooms have been around since the ancient times from the Finnish sweat bathing culture. These days, you can even get portable versions for home use and it’s available in gyms and spas.
We’re aware of its detoxing and relaxing uses but it’s filled with other health benefits too. Here are the reasons why you should sweat in the…
- It helps your body to get rid of toxins stored in the fats while it cools down.
- Notice how you feel more relaxed and happy after a sauna session? That’s because sweating releases feel-good endorphins.
- It’s great to enter one after your workouts as it soothes and relaxes your muscles.
- Researchers have also found that regular sauna sessions give your blood vessels a cardiovascular workout, making it stronger and healthier.
- Sauna Tip!
The heat rocks produce dry heat that ranges from 71 – 85 degrees Celsius so it’s best to stay for about 15 – 20 minutes to avoid burns or dehydration. Since it’s a low humidity room, you can make it more humid and create a bit of steam by adding water to the heat rocks. Which is why a pail of water is provided at the side.
- Battling a cold, blocked nose, sinus, asthma or other allergies? The steam will help to improve your respiratory system, loosen that pesky phlegm to clear your nose and lungs.
- You will be sweating some of your water weight out along with other toxins.
- The warm steam will increase the blood circulation in your body which helps to relieve muscle aches and speed up the recovery process.
- If you have dry skin, the steam room is the better option because it will really help to moisturize your skin while increasing your metabolism too.
Steam Room Tip
Temperatures in a steam room are usually around 37.7 degrees Celsius – 51.7 degrees Celsius which not as hot as the sauna but it’s still best to stay for about 10 – 15 minutes. After your steam room session, don’t forget to hydrate your body with a lot delicious fruit-infused water to replenish the lost electrolytes.
Related: 5 Best Spa Resorts in Malaysia
– Cover Image: monash-sport-lifestyle.blogspot.com