Mel Dequanne Abar or Dequeen as fondly called by pageant fans hailing from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah bested 22 finalists from all over Malaysia for the coveted Miss Grand Malaysia 2019 title and earning the right to represent the country to Miss Grand International 2019 scheduled to be held in Venezuela this coming 25 October offering USD$40,000 cash and a one year stay in Bangkok, Thailand where the headquarters of Miss Grand International organization is based.
This is also a hattrick win for Sabah after Sanjeda John in 2017 and Debra Jeanne Poh last year. Saroop Roshi from Perak and crowd favorite Haara Kumar from Selangor came in second and third respectively and both runner ups will also be representing Malaysia at major international pageants to be announced by the organization in due time.
All top three winners receive cash and prizes worth more than RM150,000 from main presenter Nur Sajat Aesthetics and grand sponsors including Clarel’s Malaysia, NuFinity and Borneo Medispa. The winner also receives a business class return flight ticket to Venezuela courtesy from Bumijaya Kiara Biotech Sdn Bhd.
At the final coronation, all 23 finalists kicked off the opening round with a fiery dance performance wearing dresses designed by talented Sarawakian designer Maatin Shakir. The next round became more captivating as delegates wore a limited-edition swimwear by Bikini Malaysia before completing the final round in the evening gown.
Miss Grand Malaysia 2019 is held for the first time outside of Klang Valley with Miri city as the host for a week from 21 – 28 April and giving all finalists a fun packed pageant week activities including visiting tourist attractions such as the Grand Old Lady, Miri Handicraft Centre, Piasau Nature Reserve, Miri Times Square, Miri Crocodile Farm and Coco Cabana Miri to name a few.
ROLL OF HONOURS
- Winner – Mel Dequanne Abar, 20, Sabah
- Second – Saroop Roshi, 21, Perak
- Third – Haara Kumar, 22, Selangor
- Fourth – Julie Minele, 20, Sarawak
- Fifth – Lishalinny Kanaran, 22, Selangor
- Miss Viral by Nur Sajat – Malle Christian, 21, Sabah
- Best in Swimwear – Haara Kumar, 22, Selangor
- Best in Evening Gown – Haara Kumar, 22, Selangor
- Miss Popular Vote – Emily Chieng, 18, Sarawak
Miss Top Model – Mel Dequanne Abar, 20, Sabah
- Miss Body Beautiful – Haara Kumar, 22, Selangor
- Miss Congeniality – Simona Boonratana, 24, Selangor
- Miss Beautiful Skin – Emily Elizabeth, 21, Sarawak
- Miss Elegant – Julie Minele, 20, Sarawak