There are shades of hair colour that require us to bleach our hair, or perhaps you want to go for the bleached hair look. We all know this causes some serious damage to our locks so before you go ahead and make that decision, know these tips to help keep your scalp and hair in decent condition.
To keep your colour bright and healthy, follow these tips:
1. Switch to shampoo for bleached hair. Your hair stylist would be able to provide this to you. Bleached hair has different shampoo requirements from the over-the-shelf products you usually buy. You will also be washing your hair less to avoid it getting too dry, so that means your one bottle will last you longer.
2. Deeply nourish your hair. Bleaching strips your hair of its natural colour and just from the smell of it, you know it’s doing some serious damage. It isn’t natural and so you will need to give your hair as much tender, loving, care that you can. Instead of using a generic condition, nourish your hair with a deep repair mask every time you wash your hair.
3. Skip the hair dryer. Forget about styling your hair with heat, let it air dry as often as you can and always apply hair serum or leave-in conditioner. However, be sure to buy products that are clear (not yellow-toned) because this could end up leaving your hair brassy.
4. Make coconut oil your new best friend. Apply it on sunny days especially, it acts as a SPF for your locks and minimizes chlorine absorption if you’re heading for a swim. It’s also really good for your hair repair!
5. Invest in a silk pillowcase. This is something you should be doing anyway with or without bleached hair. It reduces breakage and keeps moisture locked into your hair and to keep your colour bright, you’ll be needing as much moisture in your bleached hair.
– Cover Image: xovain.com